Apply for a marriage license at the City Clerk’s office, 27 West Allen Street, Winooski VT 05404. The cost of the license is $50.00 and $10.00 for a certified copy, cash or check is accepted as forms of payment. You must appear in person before the City Clerk, you cannot obtain a marriage license through the mail. The Winooski City Clerk’s Office is open from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm. Monday through Friday and the process takes about 15 minutes.
Who can get married in Vermont? Are there any restrictions?
- You must be at least 18 to marry in Vermont (16 or over with the consent of a parent/legal guardian).
- Previously married applicants must provide a certified copy of a divorce decree or a certified death certificate to obtain a new marriage license.
Where can we get married?
- A Vermont license is good for marriage in Vermont only.
- Vermont residents may marry anywhere in the state of Vermont, however you must obtain your marriage license in the town that either one of you reside in. If neither party is a Vermont resident, you may obtain the license from any town clerk in the state.
Who can marry us?
- A judge, supreme court justice, assistant judge, justice of the peace or an ordained or licensed minister, rabbi or priest residing in VT can perform your ceremony.
What do we do with the license? How do we get a copy?
- The license must be given to the officiant who will conduct your wedding ceremony.
- After the ceremony the officiant will complete the sections concerning the date, place and officiant of your ceremony, the officiant must than return it to the Town Clerk’s office where it was issued within 10 days.
- The license becomes official after it has been recorded in the Town Clerk’s office where it was purchased.
The Vermont Department of Health, Vital Records Unit
108 Cherry Street / PO Box 70
Burlington, VT 05402
802-863-7275 or 800-439-5008