Press Release: September 12th, 2018
Contact: Kristen Balschunat, Winooski Natural Resources Conservation District (WNRCD)
email@example.com / 802 288 8155 Ext. 104
Calling all artists; professional and aspiring. Use your creativity to spread the word about stormwater quality in your community. Rethink Runoff is accepting storm drain mural concepts from now until September 24th, for a stormwater awareness campaign that will take place in Winooski on Wednesday, October 10th.
The purpose of the mural project is to raise public awareness about stormwater runoff. When it rains, trash and pollutants on our streets are carried to drains that lead directly into nearby streams and ultimately to Lake Champlain. It is important for everyone to pitch in by properly disposing of trash, oils, paints and other household waste.
Of the designs received, three artists will be selected to paint their murals on sidewalks adjacent to storm drains. Each artist will receive a $250 stipend upon successful completion of their mural. In order to be selected the following conditions must be met:
- Artist must be available to paint their mural on Wednesday, October 10th (rain date Thursday, October 11th).
- Artwork must contain a stormwater awareness message. It can be “Drains to Champlain” or your own, unique message.
- Artists will be responsible for all paints, brushes, and supplies needed to paint their mural. Must coordinate with Rethink Runoff staff to ensure the correct type of paint and supplies are used.
- Artists who live in Chittenden County, and especially in Winooski, are strongly encouraged to apply but anyone is welcome to submit a design for consideration.
The selection committee will utilize the following points system to choose four final designs:
- Mural concept clearly conveys and communicates the importance of keeping waterways clean and/or not dumping materials down drains – 5 pts
- Mural concept contains a catchy, environmental message – 5 pts
- Mural can easily be painted on the sidewalk adjacent to the drain – 5 pts
- Artist has a strategy for community involvement in their mural – 5 pts
To submit your art, visit http://winooskinrcd.org/news-and-events to complete an application form online or download a printable version. Concepts must be submitted no later than midnight on Monday, September 24th.
For questions, contact Kristen Balschunat at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 802 288 8155 ext. 104.
Rethink Runoff’s Stream Team is a project to engage citizens across a nine-town area (Burlington, Essex, Essex Junction, Milton, Shelburne, South Burlington, Williston, Winooski, and Colchester) to implement projects to reduce nonpoint source pollution and stormwater volume at the local level. The program is managed by the Chittenden County Municipal Separate Storm Sewer designated towns and run by the Winooski Natural Resources Conservation District. Learn more at www.rethinkrunoff.org